Friday, July 11, 2008

Sick leave and you lucky women!


Have you ever had a staff or colleague who is perpetually on sick leave or more popularly known in M'sia as MC? Doesn't it get irritating when you have everything planned and suddenly u have to change them b'cos he/she suspiciously calls in sick?
Well, for those for really are stricken with some sort of sickness, by all means do take MC. I am talking abt those who seem to fall sick almost every other week! They seem determined to fulfill the amt of MC days allowed in their contract of employment(Ranging from 14-21 days). I have a staff who is like that and I am at wit's end trying to sort it out. She does hand in MC's so legally there's nothing I can do abt it! Grrrrr.........

I remember a fren of mine who works in Maybank telling me that her company actually allows 30 days of MC and 90 days maternity leave. She says if she plans everything out well, she could get a full year's pay for 4 month's work! How? Get pregnant twice in the same year and maximise MC days. That's 7 month's off! Add the public holidays and Saturday and Sundays, it's just 4 month's work or less!

I told her : GOOD LUCK!

PS : Do you know that in the Scandinavian countries like Sweden, Finland and Norway, husbands get paternity leave for 3 weeks to take care of wife and child? That shd absolutely be implemented here!

9 comments:

anfield devotee said...

Three weeks maternity fer guys : so the hubby can go out & thani & celebrate the arrival of newborn . . .

Life's Like That said...

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!

Mohan said...

Sometimes I think the likes of the Swedish dude's are not too bad. Not everyone defines their life based on their vocation! There're too many things you miss out in life! devan has 2 weeks paternity leave and he's enjoying every moment of it.

On the other extreme, read last week about yet another screwed up Jap. working his arse off in Toyota till he DIEDed! Dudes there call it karoshi!

Chill dude!!
M.

Life's Like That said...

M : UK has paternity leave as well? Is it across the board as in the private sector as well?

Mohan said...

think you're legally entitled to partenity leave here in any form of employment. Same with minimum wage, mandatory holiday leave..etc. the Unions(mostly Labour based) are exceptionally influential here... so much to say for how Mahathir completely made them obsolete back home!
M.
p/s: You have a good weekend and have a cold one on me Sat. night!

senorita.. said...

i used to have a colleague like this when i worked as a temp. in HP. it sure does screw up the others in the team.

Unknown said...

It's a Malaysian mentality, that MCs are part of their annual leave right!

Most people I know feel it's their given right to take MC whenever it suits them.

So much so in most of my 18 years of working experience, I have a phobia about taking legit MC.

Before having kids (not pregnancy ok I never took MC during that time) I never had an MC on my record. After kids, I've had MC issued from kiddie clinics to look after the feverish vomiting child and to take some ZZZZzzzz after a few sleepless nights.

The one time I ended up wt an MC for 2 weeks was for my dislocated disc I felt soooooooooooo fooking guilty lying there in excruciating pain.

So it drives me nuts when I get a fooking sms from my female staff with that most idiotic reason period cramps - which essentially means 1 day a month sure MC.

Given yes some women keel over and die from it, but if you know it's a recurrence unless you've got fibroids or cysts or something which can be helped with medical attention, bloody get your pain killers and turn up for work.

I once tracked one of my staff's so called MC becoz period cramp - most erractic pattern and always on the day she had to deliver something important to the client - I told her right off, I think she's rather be dead than tell me she's got cramps again - haahahahahahha

Am an evil bitch I know ... what can I say, if I can work 20 hours nonstop at 39weeks pregnant, so can you, unless some certifies you unfit to work.

In one org I worked, if you came with MC from everywhere, those clinics were blacklisted and reported.

If you also repeatedly were on MC, they'd send you for fully paid medical to prove your illness was real. Otherwise you were given a showcause ltr and showed the exit door ...

It's a mindset thing LLT, you can't change them unless you take drastic steps and in some instances being a guy with a female staff playing hookie - it's arse luck on you man! I never let my guy staff get off that easy because I can ask them things with the most straight face they have a hard time lying ...

:)) Good Luck with your staff ...

Anonymous said...

Imagine if we have 3 weeks paternity leave here in Malaysia. If a man has 4 wives and if all his wives have babies in the same year, that lucky chap will be enjoying 12 weeks of holidays. Add in all public holidays and if he uses all his MCs, he'll probably need to work for about 6 months only. And most government agencies would need to close down due to lack of MANpower. :P

Life's Like That said...

Senorita : Yup, it sure screws up your schedule!

Ani : You don take MC's? Must be employee of the year many times! Haha.....

Sha : Thanks for dropping by my blog. I never looked at it that way b4! Well, I guess the cost of 4 wives is much greater than the 6 mth's holiday!!!!