Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I've conquered Mt Kinabalu!





I made it!!! Reached the top of Mt Kinabalu(Low's Peak to be exact) at 6.05am on 1 Mar 2009 with my wife and two other friends! It was an amazing experience and the view was fantastic! It was exhilarating to be able to set foot on the tallest mountain in southeast asia. The cold aside(2 degreee celsius!), we were high-fiving and slapping each other's backs, including those of the people we don't know!

Before I go any further, I would like to dispel many doubts abt the climb :

a)You don't have to be super-fit or very fit for that matter. The guides told us that normally women find it much easier to climb than the guys. The same happened to us as I was huffing and puffing while my wife was walking up at a canter(And she does not exercise often!). Willpower is just as important!

b)The most important equipments to have are a walking stick(Absolutely necessary), a raincoat, proper walking shoes and proper clothing! I am emphasising all these based on my own experience. All the rest are secondary.

c)Descending is just as challenging as ascending the mountain. This is mainly b'cos fatigue starts to play a role and you have to be extra careful negotiating slippery rocks especially when it is raining.

d)Medication like Diamox(Altitude sickness) and Celebrex(Painkillers) are advised to be taken.

It took us 8 hours to get to the top(5 hours to Laban Rata and 3 hours to the summit). The climb towards the top was quite treacherous near the 5-6km mark. Height of mountain is about 8km. It was drizzling but not heavy enough to stop us from ascending to the top. The rocks were slippery and we had to be very careful. It took another 8 hours to get down. Why the same amt of time as going down shd be much easier rite? When you are going down, your calfs and thighs start to ache and you tend to stop more often to rest. For us the last 2 kilometers was hell! But we made it!!!

The one bad experience from this trip is the aching muscles! It got so bad that we even had trouble getting up from chairs and walking straight! We were walking like crabs! Such a pretty sight!

A sign in Kinabalu Park says :

Take Nothing But Photographs
Leave Nothing But Footprints
Keep Nothing But Memories

Yes, I have a million unforgettable memories now!

10 comments:

Moonfish said...

Wah!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!! I am so proud of you. By the way, you 2 look like China Doll. Really that cold ah?

Life's Like That said...

China Doll? I must be a really fat one! Haha! Yes it was that cold b'cos the wind was blowing pretty strong as well. Go try it la fren!

Unknown said...

Congratulations la Gavin!!! .... and the pictures are awesome :)) thanks for sharing

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

yo G,

congrats man!! must be one hell of an experience. how about going for bigger challenge next, say...Mt Everest? only this time carrying a weapon is compulsory cos you may chance upon a yeti.

Life's Like That said...

Thanks Anita! There are lots more fantastic photos of the view up there. Maybe I can show it to u the next time we meet.

Kerp : No intentions of anymore climbs for the moment. Everest??? Haha....Haha...Too cold. Don have clothing for it.....Yeti? I'll probably talk him into giving me sole rights to interview him! Haha!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations !!!.

Looks like everyone face the same fatigue situation descending. Is the stamping of the foot on the ground and going down fast. The moment I reach and seat down on the chair, I could not feel my leg at all. No control of the leg as the muscle do not respond accordingly. For a moment I thought I was paralysed.... I almost got carried into the car.

But it feels good yeah....such an achievement...

anfield devotee said...

Hope you left a LFC scarf up there . . . coz that'd be the only place we'd be finishing top this season . . . (sigh) . . .

Bernard said...

Congrats on your latest conquest!! Legs ache huh?? Well you could've rolled down all the way...

Life's Like That said...

VS : Yup, I know how you feel cos I felt exactly the same way.Legs still aching now!

AD : Sigh, after a high of reaching the top, had to get the bad news of our defeat from u.

Bernard : Did actually think of that!

Trinity said...

Kudos!